Sometimes a book or an author comes along that is really special. Carey Baldwin is just such an author, and her new book Confession is just such a book. No wonder it reached number two on the Barnes and Noble best selling mysteries list and on the overall Nook top twenty!
Each line of Confession is beautifully crafted. Whether the heroine is confronting the hero, or being threatened by a patient in her office, you feel every heartbeat, every nervous tremor that the heroine tries to conceal. You feel her loneliness, her desire to do the right thing, her indecision, and her bravery.
Can you tell that I loved this book? And isn’t that cover terrific?
Carey is as interesting as her characters. She’s a mild-mannered physician (still practicing full time) who happens to write edgy romantic thrillers. What’s a nice girl like Carey doing writing scare-you-silly thrillers? She says: “When you’re a former clinical psychologist, writing about psychopaths comes naturally, and when you’re a hopeless romantic…, well, you do the math!”
I asked her if she had anything secret and interesting to confess. Here are some of Carey’s Confessions:
- I invented a test called the THE SEX REP. It was published in the Journal Of Personality. Not how it sounds though—it’s not about what happens between the sheets. It’s used to measure sex-role stereotyping and gender identity.
- I was once voted Professor of the Year at a State University. I think my students felt sorry for me because I had to breastfeed my colicky baby in class.
- Along with my two kids, I was once dropped off in the Alaskan wilderness by a float plane. We hiked through Misty Fjords national monument in total isolation. Except of course for the bears.
- I once ran a marathon with my best friend. We lost each other at the port-a-potties before the race and didn’t find each other until the finish line.
- I put salt on my cantaloupe. I don’t think this is either fun or weird but my critique partners do and they made me put this on the list.
- I bought my car because the color was called Alpine Rain and I thought that sounded romantic.
- I once sold one of my original photographs for $1500 at an art festival. Unfortunately, it used to hang on my living room wall, and now my favorite photograph belongs to someone else.
All I can say is WOW.
Anyway, here is the blurb from Confession. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
They say the Santa Fe Saint comes to save your soul—by taking your life.
Newly minted psychiatrist Faith Clancy gets the shock of her life when her first patient confesses to the grisly Saint murders. By law she’s compelled to notify the authorities, but is her patient really The Saint? Or will she contribute to more death by turning the wrong man over to the police?
Faith is going to need all her wits and the help of a powerful adversary, Luke Jericho, if she’s to unravel the truth. But she doesn’t realize she’s about to become an unwitting pawn in a serial killer’s diabolical game: For once he’s finished with Faith, she’ll become his next victim.
3 thoughts on “Carey Baldwin Confesses to Being a Bestseller!”
Well, you sold me. I ran right over and one-clicked to my kindle. Great review. Thanks. And I loved the confessions!!
I know you won’t be disappointed, Trish. Thanks for being here today!
Thanks so much, Trish! And thank you, Diana for such a lovely write up!